Tuesday, February 1, 2011

The Simple Things

Some of my favorite things from today:

1.  Adam slept through the night last night!  After almost 12 months of being up every single night he is finally starting to sleep through the night consistently, although since I just said that he probably won't tonight.  I have SOOOOO much more energy when I get a full night of uninterrupted sleep and I am much more productive during the day.

2.  A snow/ice day.  Since Mike did not have work today because of the ice storm, he was able to entertain the boys while I cleaned the house like a mad woman.  There was/is some sort of strange pee smell in the bathroom and we can't figure out where it is coming from... it's a mystery. (The strange pee smell would not be one of my favorite things:)

We also played outside for a while today too!

Mike and Owen didn't let a little freezing rain get their way of sledding. In fact, since the slope was a little icy they were able to go faster, further, and now have a "new world record".  Adam got to go for a few rides too.  Up until recently, he was content just watching from the window, but yesterday and today he decided he wanted to be outside playing and sledding too and he wasn't afraid to let us know!  So..... we let him try it and he LOVED it.  He had a smile on his face the entire time.  When I asked him if he wanted "more" he would sign "more, more" and Mike would take him for another ride.




3.  Seeing Owen pick up a book and read, not because I told him to, but because he loves books.  I think that makes any parent happy.

4.  Hearing Owen sternly tell Mike, "No, daddy, he's my wittle bear".  I was upstairs so I didn't know what was going on, all I heard was Owen call Adam his "little bear" and I thought it was cute.

5.  Slow cooker hot caramel apple cider with whipped cream.  I got the recipe from this blogger.  She is well-known for cooking from a crock pot for 365 days straight and blogging about it.   The cider was sooooooooo delicious especially since it was ready right when we came in from playing outside.  I could not talk Owen into trying any.  That boy is stubborn.  Not one of the better qualities he inherited from me.  It seems like the more we want him to try something, the less likely he is to try it.  Oh well... more for Mike and I!

6.  Science experiments.  This morning Owen did an experiment with vinegar, water, and baking soda.  He had fun predicting which cubes were filled with water and which were filled with vinegar.  He learned new words like vinegar and chemical reaction (I can't even begin to type out how he said them).



I took a video of him explaining to me what was going on, but I sound like an annoying, overbearing mom, so I'm not sure I will post it.  Maybe another day.  I got the idea from the Productive Parenting website.  I had high hopes of doing one activity a day with Owen while I was off on maternity leave, but sadly, we've only done a couple.  I guess I'm just busier and more exhausted (ahem... Adam) than I thought I would be.  I'm going to try really hard to step it up in the next couple months.  He loves the activities and they don't take long to do.  I'd like to start doing some with Adam too.

7.  The "Nap Nest".  That's what Mike has named Owen's top bunk.  It is so cozy and every now and then one of us will crawl up there and take the best afternoon nap.  I have a feeling Mike might be claiming it this afternoon :)

No comments: