Friday, February 18, 2011

My Two Bruisers

Owen has been asking me since the start of winter when it would get hot out again.  He asks almost every day, "When can we go to Papa's boat? When can I wear shorts?  When is it going to get hot out?"  I told him he better make sure he lives down south because as much as he enjoys sledding, that boys LOVES warm weather.  As a kid, I remember how awesome it was when the weather got warm enough to put shorts on for the first time.  This morning I told Owen he could wear shorts since the temperature was going to get into the 60's.  He was thrilled and ran upstairs right away to get dressed.  We played outside all day.  Riding bikes, blowing bubbles, swinging, sliding, playing soccer, going for many walks around the neighborhood, coloring with sidewalk chalk, shoveling snow that hasn't melted, talking to neighbors, meeting new neighbors,  playing with trucks, and playing baseball.

It is so neat watching Adam explore.  He was too little to do much last spring and summer and now that he can walk, he's into everything outside.  He loves digging in the dirt and smushing it between his fingers (something Owen did not enjoy at all).  He picks up leaves and examines them.  And recently, he has started to run which makes me sooooooo nervous, especially on our uneven sidewalks and driveway.  Today he fell right on his little nose and scraped it.  I try to hold his hand, but he pushes me away :(  I wish it was normal to have young kids wear helmets, mouth guards, knee pads, and gloves when they played outside.  If we make it through the summer without Adam loosing any teeth, I will be shocked.  In fact, by the end of the day I was surprised and thankful that we made it through just one day without any major injuries or teeth lost.
Thank goodness for the swing and stroller.  Adam's very content in both and it gives me a brief break from chasing him around trying to keep him from getting hurt.  Then, this afternoon, Owen fell and scraped his knee and hand.  It was bleeding a little and I'm sure it stung a alot and he was VERY upset and had snot pouring out of his nose.  Adam just kept looking at him and doing this loud, fake laugh thing.  Most people would think it is not nice that he was laughing at Owen while he was hurt and crying, but really he was just trying to make him feel better.  Any time Adam is hurt and crying Owen will come over and make a funny face or do a silly dance and start laughing in hopes that Adam will stop crying and laugh too.  It was so cute to see Adam trying to do the same with his big brother.  Our neighbors are going to get used to hearing kids cry because my boys fall a lot and usually cry when they do.  I know everyone says girls are dramatic, but I think boys can be just as bad!

A Spider Man Band-Aid made his booboo feel a little better.
I would have liked to get more pictures of the boys playing outside today, but carrying around a camera while keeping an eye on Adam is not as easy as it would seem.  I was able to get a few when Mike got home from work.

Owen playing baseball, Adam playing with a leaf or a twig- probably thinking about eating it.
While I ran in to pick up pizza for dinner Adam took another fall and scraped his nose and face even more than he had earlier.  He looks so pitiful.  He's usually good at falling, but for some reason he is not putting his arms out to catch himself?!
 
I could get used to this warm weather, although I have a feeling it's just a tease.  We're sure to have at least one more big snowfall before spring arrives.

No comments: