Saturday, December 4, 2010

A Festive Day

Yesterday morning I took the boys to the Festival of Lights at the Expo center.  We met a friend there with her two kids.  I teach/taught with Emily and she also had a baby three months ago and is on maternity leave for the rest of the year too! The Festival of Lights was nice, although not quite what I expected.  They had a ton of trees decorated with different themes.  There was also a group of high school girls doing crafts with the kids so Owen was able to make a cute penguin ornament.  They had a neat display of gingerbread houses which made me excited to make one with Owen.  We would have liked them to allow the kids to make their own gingerbread houses there :)  They also had a quilt exhibit, but we skipped that.  You should have seen the old lady's face when we walked up to the exhibit with four kids age three and under.  She was very supportive of our idea to skip the quilt exhibition.

When I got home I realized I forgot to turn on my flash so the few pictures I took did not really turn out. 
Wearing the shirt I made him and standing by the construction tree
Making his penguin craft
That afternoon while the boys were napping I decided to clean and organize our laundry room.  I ended up finding a gingerbread house kit that Owen got as a present last year, but we never decorated.  So that night, after Adam went to bed, Owen and I decorated it.  The kit came with some candy, but not enough and I did not feel like going to the store so we found lots of little candy here at home that we could use.  Owen kept sneaking marshmallows and chocolate chips.



We showed Owen these pictures in hopes that he would realize he looks silly and should just smile nicely for the camera.

After we decorated the gingerbread house I noticed The Polar Express was on TV.  I was not sure Owen was old enough to see that movie since there are some scary parts, but we've been talking a lot about Santa, elves, and the North Pole and he has a lot of questions so I thought this movie would be perfect.  The three of us snuggled on the couch and ate popcorn (well I did) and watched the movie.  Owen loved it, despite getting very scared at a few parts and shaking and almost crying.  Mike and I had bets on how many times he would be up with nightmares, however he slept straight through the night.  The movie was only over at 11pm.  I think he was too tired to have any nightmares!

Here's a picture of Adam wearing his Christmas shirt.

We have a lot of other fun, festive things planned for this weekend!

No comments: