Monday, August 29, 2011

Wild Weekend

Sorry for the lapse in blogging.  I guess I can sort of blame it on Hurricane Irene because she caused us to be without power, cable, and Internet for a few days, but the other reason is because I am a lot busier nowadays.

Our weekend wasn't the greatest.  Friday I picked Owen and Adam up from daycare and I could tell Owen was quiet on our walk home.  As soon as we got in the door he was in tears.  He was so so sad.  His very best friend "in the whole world" told Owen he was not his best friend anymore.  He said he had a new best friend and Owen's little heart was broken in pieces.  Seriously, I thought I didn't have to deal with this stuff with boys, but I guess I was wrong.  We had lots of talks over the weekend about how hurtful it can be to call someone your "best" friend because someone else might think you are their "best" friend.  We told him that when it comes down to it.... Adam is truly his ONLY best friend.  I think that's something he'll have to discover on his own later in life.  We talked about how great it is to have a lot of friends. One friend might be fun to play soccer with while another is great at playing superheros.  I know this is just a part of life and growing up, but  it's still hard to see my little guy so upset.  We also talked about how important it is to be kind to others and make sure he doesn't treat others in hurtful ways.  Owen is so sensitive and he seems to be quite the follower which makes me nervous.  I don't know that I definitely want him to be a leader either.  Hmmm..... and this is  just the beginning.  I also know that while we've always had to worry about other kids hurting Owen's feelings, we may be on the other side of the fence when it comes to Adam.  I've been watching him lately as he interacts with Owen and he definitely has the upper hand in certain situations.

Friday, around midnight, Owen woke up itching like crazy!  He had bug bites all over his face, neck, arms, and hand.  Well, I should mention that at the time I had this horrible feeling that he got the Chicken Pox.  For some ungodly reason, I chose to wait on the Chicken Pox vaccine.  Our pediatrician told us that it wasn't a big deal if the boys got it, but if they didn't get it before Kindergarten, they'd have to get the shot.  So, it's two days before school starts and I was freaking out that Owen was going to have to stay home from daycare for a week.  I definitely learned my lesson and we'll be visiting the doctor ASAP for that shot.  Turns out, the kids took a walk to the rail trail Friday while the little ones were napping.  They had to turn around because the bugs were so bad, but I guess it was a little late.  Some other kids got bitten all over like Owen.  We had to give him Benedryl all weekend because he was so uncomfortable. 

Hurricane Irene paid a visit on Saturday and Sunday which meant we were stuck inside without power, cable, and Internet (oh my!).  Luckily, my handy husband hooked up a generator and we were good to go.  Thank goodness for that generator or all those frozen meals I have stashed away in our freezer may have gone bad.

Today was the first day of school for the kids around here.  I have a pretty nice class, with a few stinkers (isn't that how every class is?).  I'm glad the "First Day" is over.  It's always so crazy and I like when we can start to get into a regular routine. 

Sorry for the picture-less post.  I NEED to start taking pictures.  And Kate, if you're reading this... I need to schedule a fall photo session with you!

Happy Monday!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yessssssss, of course I'm reading! Glad to hear your first day back was uneventful! And I would love to take some photos with you guys!! I'll be free Sunday morning, if you guys will be around?