Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Catching Lightning Bugs


Last night, as I was sitting on the front porch blogging (with the lights out), I noticed a ton of lightning bugs in our front lawn. I remember my dad making us great bug houses when we were kids. I'd love for him to make Owen and Adam one (hint, hint!). Paige, Beth and I spent so much time outside catching lightning bugs and other critters for our bug houses. I called Owen upstairs to show him all the lightning bugs and asked him if he wanted to go try to catch some. He was excited, so Mike, Owen and I went out to try to catch some to put in a jar. They were tiny and very tricky to catch, but we managed to get about five. Then, we brought them inside to watch for a few minutes before letting them go outside. We tried to explain to Owen that they flash their light to talk to each other. It was so much fun! The pictures did not turn out that great. Maybe it was the helmet, or the onesie, or the fact that I was trying to enjoy the moment without taking a ton of pictures :)

Yes, Owen still wears a onesie now and then-mainly to bed. He still fits in the 24 month onesies!

And, yes, he insisted on wearing his bike helmet while we were catching the lightning bugs. When I told him he did not need to wear it, he said, "Yes, I do mommy. Dats so I don't get hurt." He's really into safety right now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love the helmet for catching lady bugs! Very cute pictures!
Love, Abuela