Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Self Control

Tonight I gave both boys a bath at the same time.  Usually it takes Mike and I to give them a bath because Adam is an absolute maniac in the bathtub, but Mike was not home.  When I have to give them a bath by myself I usually have Owen get in first and wash him while Adam stands outside excitedly waiting for his turn to get in the tub.  Once Owen is all washed, I put Adam in the bathtub.  I can't take my hands off him for a second.  In a matter of 1 minute, he sits up, splashes, flops onto his belly, puts his entire face in the water, kicks and splashes some more, sits back up, splashes some more, tries to stand up, flops back onto his belly, kicks and splashes, swallows more water, chokes, coughs it up, laughs, sits back up... you get the picture.  Tonight I was keeping one hand on his back and the other under his chin to try and keep him from drinking so much water and/or hitting his head.  For a moment I was a little concerned because it looked like he was having a seizure, but really he is just that excited to be in the bathtub!  I've tried distracting him with toys, but it does not work.  I wish I could video tape it, but I don't have any free hands and I don't like putting naked videos of my boys on the Internet either, so hopefully I was able to paint a picture in your head.  Thankfully bed time follows bath time because I am EXHAUSTED afterwards.  This boy is in need of some serious swim lessons and pool time.  I already have him signed up for lessons in the spring.  Tonight while Adam was going crazy in the water, Owen said, "Mommy, he is not showing self control.  Santa is not going to give him any presents."  Then he turns to Adam and reminds him that Santa is watching.  I think we may have gone a little overboard on the "being good for Santa" thing.  Note to self for next year... choose something else for leverage during the Christmas season... poor kid is going to need some major therapy.

I don't have anything exciting to write about today.  We didn't do any neat crafts or activities, go anywhere fun, or have any play dates.   However, I want to remember to write down the small, but silly, things my boys do and say.  Sometimes it is those little memories that are the most fun to read about many years from now!

No comments: