When Owen was about 9 months old we started using sign language with him. I only taught him a few signs like "more," "please," "help," "hurt" "eat," "drink," "thank you," "angry," and maybe a couple others, but it was enough to help him communicate and feel less frustrated when he could not verbalize what he wanted. He ended up having 8 or 9 ear infections his first year of life and I think that is the main reason he was a late talker and still has some problems with speech/sounds. Sign language was so beneficial for Owen and I can't wait to teach Adam some signs. Babies are not able to really begin signing until 6 months or later, but it is never too early to start showing him some signs. I was showing Owen some of the signs we used with him and he seems excited to use them to communicate with Adam too!
Monday, May 31, 2010
Signing
When Owen was about 9 months old we started using sign language with him. I only taught him a few signs like "more," "please," "help," "hurt" "eat," "drink," "thank you," "angry," and maybe a couple others, but it was enough to help him communicate and feel less frustrated when he could not verbalize what he wanted. He ended up having 8 or 9 ear infections his first year of life and I think that is the main reason he was a late talker and still has some problems with speech/sounds. Sign language was so beneficial for Owen and I can't wait to teach Adam some signs. Babies are not able to really begin signing until 6 months or later, but it is never too early to start showing him some signs. I was showing Owen some of the signs we used with him and he seems excited to use them to communicate with Adam too!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment