Sunday, August 26, 2012

A Letter to My Kindergartner

Dear Owen,

I feel like I blinked and you went from a tiny, helpless newborn that fit so perfectly in my arms to an independent, strong five year old.
Thankfully you still like to sit on my lap and snuggle and while it may not look like you fit perfectly in my arms like you did five years ago, it still feels just right to me.
 
I was thinking about what I wanted to write to you tonight while in the shower and I started to cry.  A good, big cry.  I needed that and I'm hoping I got it out of my system.
 
You are so ready and very excited for Kindergarten.  You can't wait to learn to read and write more words and play on the playground.  However, you said that you are most excited to meet new friends.  I love that and I can't wait either.
 
But I have to admit, part of me wishes I could keep you in a bubble.  I know that's not what good parents do.  They let their children go, one step at a time, but this is a big step for me.  I don't want you to lose your innocence.  Right now you think "knock it off", "shut up", and "hate" are bad words and I'd really like to keep it that way. 
You are such a handsome little guy, but looks will only get you so far and it's not what makes a person great.  What makes you so great is your kind heart.  The other day you were driving with daddy and you commented on how beautiful the field by our house was.  You said, "God did such a great job when he made this world."  That's the way you think and I wish I could say it had to do with your dad and I, but it's just you.  It's what we love so much about you.  You are wise beyond your years.  I hope you are always able to find beauty in this world because sometimes it's hard to find.  We hope you are smart and get good grades, but more than that, we hope you are a kind person.  We hope you help someone that needs a friend and include the little boy or girl that feels left out.  Even though Adam wasn't very nice to you today, you still asked him if he wanted to hold your hand in the car when he was sad.  You love him unconditionally and are so forgiving.  What wonderful qualities and you're only five.
Rarely a day goes by where your dad and I don't look at each other and comment on how great you (and your brother) are.  We are so proud of you and tonight, after you climbed into bed with your brother because it was his first night sleeping in your room and he was scared, daddy said to me "How did we get so lucky?"

You are such a blessing to us.  You are going to love school, but sadly, there will be times you don't like it.  Times when other kids are mean, you are frustrated, scared, feel alone, defeated, and maybe even heartbroken.  But just know that we love you so much and will be here to support you, even when you make mistakes.  And trust me, although we think you are pretty perfect, you WILL make mistakes, but we'll never stop thinking you are the greatest thing that happened to us.
So Monday morning, when you step on that bus and head off to school for the very first time, just know that you aren't alone.  You have a piece of my heart with you.  Always.  Every step of the way.  Forever and ever.

I love you.

Mom

5 comments:

Stars, Stripes, And Jet Fuel said...

So sweet! He will love this later in life! BTW, Jesse is laughing at me right now because I'm crying like a little baby.

Unknown said...

This is so nice. I can't believe how fast he's grown! I hope Owen has a fabulous first day of school and makes lots of new friends. And I hope he gives you plenty of snuggles when he gets home!

Maddie said...

Ok now I don't feel crazy, knowing that this sweet letter made Anna cry too! Owen IS a such a great kid and so lucky to have you and Mike as parents. I can't wait to hear him tell me about how school is going the next time I see him!

MB said...

I am crying...and not just a few tears in my eyes...Owen is such an AWESOME kid and you and Mike are FANTASTIC parents! Love you all so very much!!

Sarah said...

thank you girls :)