The night before Owen's first day of school he had trouble falling asleep. He was soooooo excited and couldn't wait to go to Kindergarten. The next morning he couldn't wait to head out the door to the bus stop. Even though the bus stop is about 100 feet away, we drove there so Mike could sit in the car and watch since he was still really sick.
When we got there, both boys got out of the car and walked over to the other school kids from Linda's house. We wanted to get a picture of all the school kids, but right away Owen took my hand and started to cry. I wasn't surprised. In fact, I kind of expected him to get upset. He gets really excited for things and then when they are about to happen, he thinks of all sorts of senarios and works himself up. He hid behind my arm and held my hand and cried until I was able to figure out why he was upset. He said he was afraid he wouldn't know what bus to get on to get home. Bless his heart. That is a really scary thought. Thankfully the older kids at Linda's were able to tell him exactly what will happen and it didn't take long until he was happy and playing football with the other kids while waiting for the bus.
It took a really long time for the bus to arrive. I think it was 15 minutes late and we were already 15 minutes early so it was a lot of waiting, which means a lot of time for Owen's mind to start to wander. He got quiet a few minutes before the bus arrived and told me he was worried he didn't know how long he was going to be at school. I told him it was less than 3 hours... as long as Adam naps everyday. Then he was fine and soon after the bus pulled up and his buddy Aiden took his hand and walked him onto the bus. I know he was scared, but he did it. He didn't cry and I didn't have to carry him on the bus and plop him on a seat like I had nightmares about all summer. Phew!
Then I had to take Adam into Linda's house. He was holding onto me for dear life, crying hysterically. You know... making sure my first day back at work is extra sad and miserable. Maggie had to peal him off of me and I had to walk away.
To top the day off, Mike was on his way to the doctor for some major pain he was having and later that day had to have an ultrasound. Talk about a stressful first day! For some reason I've learned that major events in our life never go exactly as we hope/plan for. I guess that's just life.
Thankfully I was able to swing over to Linda's house during my lunch break to watch Owen get off the bus and hear about his first day of school. I waited in my car for the bus to arrive and when it finally did I couldn't wait to see Owen! I thought I saw him in the tinted bus windows, but when the bus driver opened the door, no one came off the bus. I started to get on the bus because I was terrified that he wasn't on. I got scolded by the bus driver for stepping on the bus. I guess that's a big no-no. She asked who I needed and then called for Owen to get off the bus. He stood up and got off. Poor guy didn't know what to do. I guess he was waiting for permission to stand up and get off the bus. It's funny how the simple things, like getting off a bus, we just assume kids know, but it's not always the case.
I was so relieved when he told me he had a good day. He said he went to music class and walked all around the school and went to recess for only a minute. Then he went into Linda's and I had to wait until I picked him up later that afternoon to get more details about the first day.
Thankfully, the week got much better after the first day of school. Owen LOVES school. He is so content and happy to go each day. He shares bits and pieces with me and I'm trying really hard not to be a helicopter mom and grill him about everything he does each day.
Adam is doing much better at daycare too. He cries in the morning when he leaves me, but it doesn't last long once he gets there. He's finally eating lunch and not crying during the day. Mike is doing much better too. His ultrasound came back clear and he returned to work on Thursday. I'm thankful for a three day weekend so he can rest. I'd hate to see him over due it and the headaches return.
Everyone was so kind, supportive, and helpful while Mike was sick. Friends and family brought meals, helped watch the boys, and took the time to check in to see how he was doing. My friends at work were so sweet too. We're lucky to be surrounded by such wonderful people! Thank you!
No comments:
Post a Comment