Monday, September 20, 2010

I am NOT Betty Crocker

Today is Mike's birthday so while he was at work, Owen and I made him a birthday cake- chocolate cake with peanut butter icing... his favorite. I was going to just use a box of chocolate cake mix, but then I found Aunt Judy's recipe that she had given me a while ago so I decided to try it because it seemed pretty basic.

So I put Adam down for his afternoon nap and Owen and I made the cake. Actually, Owen did almost everything himself. I made two 8 x 8 cakes so Mike could take one into work and Owen could decorate one. I asked Owen if he wanted to lick the bowl since that is the best part of making any cake. He tried a little and said "Ewww" and would not eat anymore. I just figured he was being strange.

So I put the cakes in the oven and took Owen up for his nap. When I came down, I decided I would make the icing a while and when I read the recipe for the peanut butter icing I realized that when Aunt Judy's recipe said 1 t of baking powder and 2 t of baking soda it meant "teaspoons" not "tablespoons". I had to look it up on the Internet to figure it out! Well I had used tablespoons, not teaspoons so I tried a little of the batter that was still in the bowl and it was gross. Now I understood why Owen was not excited to lick the bowl clean! I probably would have left it go, but I told Mike's secretary that he would be bringing in a birthday treat tomorrow and I could not send in a disgusting cake. So I took the cakes, which were rising VERY quickly from all that baking soda and baking powder, out of the oven and redid the entire cake recipe.

Adam woke up from his nap when there was about 10 minutes left for the cakes to bake in the oven and I went up to get him. He was unusually cranky for just waking up from his nap so I was rocking him when I remembered the cakes were in the oven! I ran downstairs and luckily they were not burned, but maybe a bit overdone.

I felt more like Amelia Bedelia than Betty Crocker! I'll be sure to post Aunt Judy's cake and icing recipe on my recipe blog. Thankfully I now know that T means tablespoon and t means teaspoon!

No comments: