Wednesday, September 15, 2010

The Birthday Party Blues

I was bummed that I could not go along with Owen to a birthday party at The Little Gym last Saturday night, but Adam was not feeling well at all so I stayed home with him. I sent the camera along with Mike so I could live vicariously through the photos and these are the pictures he took. Owen was watching me post these pictures and he saw this picture and said, "That was my favorite part!" He liked the pizza and cake.
Once I heard how the night went I was glad I stayed home! We have now implemented a new positive behavior chart here at the Reager household. Anytime Owen exhibits positive behavior such as saying "good morning", or "nice to meet you" to someone that he does not know all that well, but is definitely not a stranger, he gets a sticker. He has already earned a sticker today for sitting with all the other boys and girls on the carpet, and not on Papa's lap, during storytime at the library this morning. He refused to sit anywhere, but on my lap, last spring. Going to Sunday school will also earn him a sticker. I know he has a lot of anxiety about that since it is a fairly new place with new kids. Owen is shy in nature around people or places which are not that familiar to him. I do not want to make him someone he is not, but his "shyness" was starting to come across as "rudeness" and hopefully with our new system in place he will start to pay more attention to his interactions with other people. We are already seeing progress! He can't wait to fill up his sticker chart and pick out a brand new big boy bike!

No comments: