Friday, September 4, 2009

Bless His Heart

I really procrastinated this summer with making eye doctor and dentist appointments. It was not until the very end of August that I decided I better schedule them. So, this morning while I went to the dentist, Mike took Owen up to Hershey for an eye doctor appointment.

When Owen was an infant (less than 1 year old) my mom and sister thought his one eye looked turned. I remember them telling me and I went into a complete panic. I asked around and found out about a great pediatric opthamologist in Hershey and took him there. It ended up being nothing. The doctor said that the bridge of his nose was just really flat and once that grew and his face changed it would look normal... and it did. We went back a year later for a check up and the doctor thought Owen had the beginning of an astigmatism that he wanted to keep an eye on so we scheduled an appointment for a year later. I called back in June and was only able to get him in today! This guy is sort of famous. He was on Jon and Kate Plus 8 when Kate took the kids for eye check ups. He is really strange, but very nice and really knows his stuff.

Anyway, we found out that Owen needs glasses. His eyes are pretty bad, but the doctor said because we caught it so early there is a good chance he will grow out of it and not need glasses/contacts when he gets older. The tricky part will be making sure he is wearing them as much as possible and keeping them from getting lost and broken. Bless his little heart. I will be sure to post a picture once we get them. I wish Calliou, Elmo, or one of the choo choos wore glasses. Mike has glasses and should wear them all the time, but doesn't. He is going to have to start wearing them around Owen so he thinks they are cool. As much as we really wish he did not need glasses at 2 years old, we will be very thankful if this is the biggest health problem he faces as he gets older. So many parents are dealing with very sick kids, so in the grand scheme of things, this is minor.

Update: The doctor that fitted Owen this evening for glasses said he probably won't outgrow his astigmatism. :( He is probably seeing really blurry now and once he has glasses it will make a big difference.

No comments: