Friday, February 19, 2010

1st Doctor Appointment

Tuesday was Adam's first doctor appointment. He did very well and slept through most of it. He is 20.5 inches (I guess he grew a half inch in 4 days?) and weighs 7 lbs 8 oz (only two ounces less than his birth weight). We go back again next week for a weight check.

Dr. Schaffer made us feel better about giving Adam a pacifier. I thought I had to wait till he was about 3 weeks old to give him one, but Dr. S does not agree. He said some babies just need to suck all the time and Adam is one of them. I really think that is going to help us out tremendously. Last night, Adam was up every hour to eat. I was getting cranky and wondering what was wrong that he was not getting satisfied. Finally, after an HOUR of nursing, I gave him to Mike (at 3 am) and said to go somewhere (like the basement) and not bring him up till 5am. He had to be able to go 2 hours without eating after eating for an hour straight. As soon as Mike brought him downstairs he slept on him for 3 hours. He was using me as a human pacifier.

We decided to take Owen along to the doctor because he has been pulling on his ear and I wanted to make sure he did not have another ear infection (he doesn't). Dr. Schaffer is a wonderful pediatrician. Owen loves him so much and does whatever Dr. Schaffer asks him to do. Dr. Schaffer asked him today what he wanted to be when he grew up and Owen said "You". If Dr. Schaffer told Owen to run a mile, we really think he would. He just has such a calm, sweet personality and Owen adores him.

Dr. Schaffer had a student intern who took a look at Adam before he came in. She really wanted to check his eyes, but he was refusing to open them so she turned off the lights for a bit to see if that would work. To try to keep Owen entertained I had allowed him draw on a piece of paper with a pen I had brought along to the appointment. The lady doctor turned off the lights for, honestly, 1 minute. Owen was sitting on Mike's lap and was so confused and kept asking what she was doing. I knew he had the pen in his hand, but had no idea he was using it to make himself look like a warrior. When she turned on the lights this is what Owen looked like...
I about died! Luckily, they did not turn us in for being bad parents and allowing our child to draw all over his face and eye with a pen. We have no idea how he did not scratch his eye. Dr. Schaffer was able to remove the ink with an alcohol swab. Next week I think I'll take Adam to the doctor without Owen. It is a lot of work taking two kids and I even had Mike along!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is the funniest thing ever! I was laughing so hard that tears were streaming down my face! Owen is just adorable!!! Adam is such a handsome little man! I can't wait to meet him. I'll call this week to see how you're doing. Miss you guys. Sooo happy for you!