Sunday, January 12, 2014

Papa Doc


Papa Doc passed away last night after 92 years.  Almost one year after Ollie.  I feel so fortunate to have had so much time with him, but even more fortunate that our boys were close with him.  When he and Ollie come up in conversations our boys know exactly who we are talking about and have fond memories of both their great grandparents. 
I will never forget how much Papa Doc loved Ollie and how he cared for her when she no longer was able to care for herself, but was still living at home. 
 
He was so appreciative of anything we did for him.  If we brought him dinner, he'd thank us over and over again.  He was always so appreciative of our visits to him at his house and then when he was in the nursing home.  If I needed a self-esteem boost, I'd go visit Papa Doc.  Often he'd tell me "You are a wonderful, wonderful person" which was nice to hear especially on days I wasn't feeling all that wonderful.

He will be missed, but I have a feeling he is much happier now holding hands with Ollie.

No comments: