Wednesday, April 3, 2013

So long nunnies

Adam and Owen both had dentist appointments on Monday.  Owen's appointment went fine.  They let Adam watch.  Owen loves the dentist and thinks everything tickles and laughs through half his check up.  No cavities for Owen, but he does have a loose bottom tooth.  Dr. Sim thinks it will come out in about 3 months.  Many of the kids in my class are missing their top, bottom, or sometimes both, front teeth.  It's the cutest thing... until those ugly adult, jagged teeth grow in.  But, it's a part of growing up and just another reminder that Owen is getting older.  I'm not a teeth person.  I'd almost rather deal with a broken bone than teeth.  Hopefully Mike is OK with pulling out teeth.

After Owen, it was Adam's turn.  He had been to the dentist once before, but that appointment was mainly so they could count his teeth and make him enjoy his experience so he isn't traumatized.  Adam did so well and let Dr. Sim really check out his teeth and brush on fouride.  Unfortunately he has a cavity in one of his back teeth :(  He has such a deep groove that unless we knew about it and were targeting it when we brush his teeth, it was inevitable.  So next month he will go in to get it filled.  They will make him sleepy before they drill and I'm a little nervous about the whole thing.
Dr. Sim also showed me the effect that his nunnies (pacifiers) are having on his teeth.  It isn't pretty and I know I should have taken them away much earlier.  When he was about 18 months we stopped letting him take them out of his bed.  Nunnies were only for sleeping time and he was fine with that.
Lately he has been biting them and they weren't really working so he was sort of weening himself off of them on his own.  I planned on taking them away completely this summer when he moves into Owen's room to sleep on the bottom bunk.  After talking to Dr. Sim we came home and I told Adam that since his nunnies weren't working (and the store doesn't sell them anymore:), and Dr. Sim said they were messing up his teeth, he needed to throw them out.  So we gathered them up and he tossed them in our big trashcan outside.  I knew there would be some crying.  In fact, I thought it may last a week or so.  We also told Papa and Finney to throw the ones he has at their house out.  Monday afternoon he cried a lot before his nap because he wanted his nunnies.  Eventually he fell asleep and he really hasn't cried at all after that.  In fact, I think he may actually sleep better without them.  He has asked a few times about them, but I just remind him that they didn't work anymore and messed up his teeth.
It's funny how with Owen I was so worried about doing everything "on time".  For Adam, I sort of hung on the baby things a little longer.  I think Adam took a night time bottle until he turned 2 (gasp!!).  We would brush his teeth afterwards so I don't think that's what caused his cavity.  But still... I was in no hurry to make him into a "big" kid.
 

1 comment:

MB said...

we just got rid of E's nookie about 2 weeks ago. She got a pimple on her mouth and we told her it was from the nookie and it really bothered her so she agreed to throw them out. She never asked for it again, but I could tell she was really sad at nap and bedtime. We had a tough couple of days, but I think she is over it!