Sunday, April 28, 2013

Heart Warming Weekend

We started our weekend with a make-up Tball game on Friday night. Thankfully it was a little warmer than the previous game.  I really like their little team.  They are so cute!  Adam is doing really well too.  He plays about 3/4 of the time.  If he's not feeling it we don't push him to play, but for the most part he wants to be part of the team and do what the coach (daddy) tells him to do.  It's really fun to watch!  They started giving each kiddo three pitches and if they can't hit the ball they put the ball on the T.  Owen hit every pitch!  I think Adam will stick to the T this year:)

Saturday morning Owen and I ran in our first 5K together!  This was 100% his idea.  Ever since Mike got home from his race last weekend Owen was begging me to enter him in a race.  He must have asked 25 times before I finally Googled local races and found one the following weekend.  The best part was the race was just down from our house on the rail trail!  It was a 5K, 10K, and fun run.  I tried to talk Owen into the fun run.  I explained that it would be 4 laps around a track compared to 12 laps for the 5K.  He insisted on the 5K.  He talked about the race all week.  He really wanted to get 1st place and when I explained to him that he probably wouldn't get 1st he settled for 3rd.  We talked a lot about how it's not about what place you finish, it's just great that you even enter the race and finish.  His biggest fear was that I was going to hold him back.  My biggest fear was that he had no idea what he got himself into and it would be really hard for him and he'd have to walk and be really upset with himself.  Thankfully, we were able to meet somewhere in the middle.


He started off sprinting.  As much as I tried to explain that he needed to pace himself, he needed to figure it out on his own.  A nice older man running next to us said, "He'll learn on his own to pace himself."  He was able to run about 2 miles no problem, but he really started to get tired after that.  His legs hurt and he even made the comment "This is the hardest thing I've ever done in my life.  I know there will be harder things, but this is the hardest so far."  At this point he told me his goal was just to not walk at all.  I explained that it's fine to walk if he needed to and we ended up walking for about 1/4 mile before he was able to run again.  While we were walking he was making shadow puppets so I knew he was OK :)  We had some really great conversations during our run.  When he turned the corner and saw the finish line he sprinted so fast I could barely keep up.  It was incredible and I was so proud of him.   


Our finish time

I'm not sure he's going to want to do a 3 mile race any time soon.  I think it was very humbling for him.  He said he'd like to do a 1 mile fun run next time :) 
We came home and Ella, Sam, and Miss Paige (as Adam calls her) came over to play.  Paige and I sat on the deck and chatted while the kids played all around the yard.  I love that our kids are so close and love playing together.

Saturday afternoon we walked over to the church hall across the street for our next door neighbor's 50th Wedding Anniversary.
I think I like 50th wedding anniversaries just as much as weddings.  There's no question as to whether or not their marriage will last because it already has.  Lois just finished her last chemo treatment for breast cancer so this was more than just a 50th wedding anniversary.
They are big into Polka and hired their favorite Polka band from Massachusetts to come down for their big day.  Oh.  My.  Word.  If you've ever seen the Polka channel on TV, that's what it was like.  It was emotional, heart warming, inspiring, and so much fun!

Last night I met Paige out at the Blue Bird so we could relax and talk without having to wipe noses, open fruit snacks, push kids on the swing, etc.

And after all the fun I had yesterday, I need to go do some spring cleaning.  I made a list again this year of what room I want to tackle each week.  It is too overwhelming to think of all the things I need to do so I break it down to one or two rooms a week and just focus on that.  Today's task is our bedroom.

Have a great Sunday!

1 comment:

Maddie said...

Way to go, Owen! You'll be doing the Hyner before you know it :)