My sweet Ollie passed away peacefully last Sunday morning after many years of Alzheimer's. I wrote this post back in 2009. I said that she was in the end stages of the disease. I don't think at that point I ever imagined her living four more years. It's such a horrible disease. If only her mind could have stayed as healthy as her body.
There are some things I hope to always remember about Ollie. First is her laugh. She had a beautiful smile and a contagious laugh. She was always smiling and laughing.
Her smell and the smell of her house. It was the best smell in the world. I can't describe it as anything, but Ollie smell. We would purposefully take our blankies over to her house so that when we left they smelled like Ollie. I hope I never forget that smell.
She always bought us back to school sneakers... usually Tretorns from Kinney's Shoes. She bought us pretty dresses too from Kids Point of View. She didn't like the fact that we rarely wore undershirts. She would always ask us if we were cold and tell us we should have an undershirt on. I like Owen and Adam to have an undershirt on when it's chilly outside.
Her soup and applesauce. She made THE BEST homemade applesauce and chicken noodle soup. My dad comes pretty close to making the same soup, but I don't think any chicken noodle soup will ever top Ollie's. We went to her house every Thursday and she would always have chicken noodle soup and applesauce ready for us to eat.
She was a homebody and worrier. I tell Mike that I get those qualities from Ollie. She also loved babies. The very first place we went when we finally left the house after bringing Owen home from the hospital was to Ollie and Doc's house so Ollie could hold him. Owen had a special bond with Ollie and I'm so glad he and Adam had the chance to know her.
I'll never forget taking the boys to see her at the nursing home. Her face would light up and she'd smile and laugh and I know she was trying to say how cute they were. She especially loved their noses.
She was a wonderful grandmother and I treasure all the memories I have of her.

No comments:
Post a Comment