I had never been to the Hershey Gardens, until today. After checking their website, I learned that every Monday in July is Marvelous Monday. Today's theme was butterflies which was perfect since we are growing (is that what's it's called?) butterflies at home.

I was excited to take the boys and see what it was all about. The gardens were beautiful and it wasn't crowded at all! We had a nice time walking around, looking at the pretty flowers and trees and it wasn't too hot either.
 |
| Photographer Owen |
 |
| This was probably one of my boys' favorite things at the Gardens... watching a guy trim a tree. |
Next, we headed over to the Children's Garden to explore and play.
I printed out a little scavenger hunt for Owen to do while we were there. They also had some crafts and learning stations for the kiddos.
 |
| Examining different types of butterflies and moths |
 |
| Looking through a lens that shows how bugs see things. |
 |
| Learning about the stages of a butterfly |
 |
| Owen holding a model of a chrysalis |
 |
| If only there was chocolate coming out of those kisses instead of water :) |
After that, we went into the Butterfly House. This was my favorite part and I can't wait to go back again (without kids) to take some more pictures! I could sit in there for a long time and watch the different butterflies.
 |
| Love Adam's face as he sees all the different butterflies |
We saw metamorphosis in action...
 |
| Isn't it amazing that a tiny egg like this one can turn into a beautiful butterfly? |
 |
| The very hungry caterpillars munching away on leaves |
 |
| A case full of chrysalises. How amazing is that?!
|
 |
| My favorite butterfly. Forget the name. |
 |
| Lunch time |
After that, we headed to the amphitheater for a cute little puppet show.
We left before the sing along and magic show because the boys were getting tired and hungry. I've definitely learned to quit while we're ahead when it comes to my kids.
We had a great morning, got lots of exercise, and hopefully learned a thing or two! And tonight, before bed, I think I'll read The Very Hungry Caterpillar (again).
2 comments:
i think you would say you are raising butterflies
Adam and Owen are such lucky boys! You do so many fun things with them! Your pictures make me want to visit the Hershey gardens and butterfly house.
Post a Comment