Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Observing larva

While I was on maternity leave I sent away for the live butterfly kit.  Owen loved watching the larva eat and eat and eat, then turn into a chrysalis, and finally emerge as butterflies.  Letting them go was so much fun too.  I decided to do it again this summer since Adam is older now and he has developed a love for bugs. 

The larva are pretty large this time of year so it shouldn't be long before they start to form chrysalises.  When I did this with my class this past spring, the larva were teeny tiny and it's neat to watch them grow bigger and bigger. 
Linda asked that the kids bring a journal to her house this summer.  I think that's such a neat idea.  Since Owen hasn't been there much, we've been keeping up with the journal a little here at home and a few times while we were in Mississippi.  He really enjoys looking back through the pages.


Maybe next time we'll branch out and try a new bug.  We did Praying Mantises at school in the spring and let me just say... they are gross.  But Lady Bugs would be fun!

No comments: