Sunday, May 15, 2011

Simplify.

About a month ago, we decided to start simplifying our life a little bit.  As a result, our evenings are more enjoyable and laid back as opposed to hectic and rushed.  Mike had the opportunity to join a group of friends in starting up a business and he was super excited about it until he realized the time he would have to spend away from the boys (and me) in order to make it successful.  We both agreed that any amount of money (large or small) can not replace spending quality time together as a family especially while our boys are so small. 

We've been going through all our "stuff" and gathering things we don't need/use anymore for our neighborhood yard sale next weekend.  It's refreshing to get rid of things that are just collecting dust and taking up space.

The boys are finished with soccer and swimming and while we could have signed Owen up for another soccer season we decided against it.  He really misses soccer and can't wait to play again in the fall, but I am glad we are taking a break.  Mike also stopped his Krav Maga class that he was going to twice a week.  He would get home from work at 5:30 and have to leave by 6:30.  It drove me nuts, but I knew how much he loved it so we made it work and I tried very hard not to complain too much.  His shoulder has been bothering him a lot and he's going to get an MRI this week.  While I really enjoy having him home in the evenings, I know he misses it.  I also stopped going to Zumba twice a week.  Now that the weather is nice, I can get just as good a workout running on the trail once Adam is in bed.

We've also started getting more books from the library and reading in the evenings rather than watching TV.  It is so relaxing to sit on the porch and read.  We will probably get rid of all our channels and just keep basic cable since we don't watch much TV when it is nice outside.  Fine with me!  Today we talked about getting rid of the TV in our bedroom.  I think I'd be fine with that too, but we'll see:)

Mike was supposed to go upstate with a group of friends this weekend.  He was going to leave Thursday night and come home Sunday.  After being away the weekend before for just one night and getting the 5th degree from Owen, he decided to stay home.  He spent all day Friday helping his mom with yardwork as part of her mother's day gift.  Friday, Adam has his 15 month check up.  I will write more about that in another post.  Friday afternoon and evening we spent playing outside and going for a walk.
Since Owen took a nap on Friday we had movie night once Adam was in bed.  We watched "Cars" (Owen's new favorite movie).

Saturday morning Owen went to play at his buddy, Max's house.  It was Max's birthday so his parents got donuts for the boys and then they played.  Owen had a great time and was fine with us dropping him off even though he'd never been to Max's house before.  Then, Mike took him to his good buddy, Aiden's, birthday party.  Things didn't go as well as they did at Max's house, even though he's been to Paramount a ton of times and knew all the kids there.  Owen has been having a lot of anxiety when he is in a large group and there is an organized game or activity.  It's sad and frustrating, but we are working through it.
At this rate, I won't have to worry about him partying too much in college, that's for sure!  Thank goodness Mike was with him (rather than me).  He seems to have more patience in dealing with his meltdowns than I do lately.  In fact, the two of them have become almost inseparable.
I think it used to bother Mike a bit that anytime Owen was sad, hurt, scared, or tired he wanted me.  I was his #1 and as much as daddy tried, Owen always wanted me.  Well, now the tables have turned and Owen is daddy's best little buddy.  They do everything together.  When  Mike is gone, Owen misses him terribly, where as before, it didn't bother him when daddy was away.  He's even been more affectionate with Mike lately.
This weekend he didn't want me to give him any kisses, but had no problem with daddy's kisses.
This is one of my favorite pictures of Mike and Owen.
He still will ask me to snuggle with him when he wakes up sometimes, but once he doesn't want to do that anymore, I will be one sad mama!

 Adam was up in the middle of the night last night.  He kept crying and usually if he wakes up and cries it is for a few seconds and then he falls back to sleep.  Not last night!  When I finally went in, I felt him and he was soaked from head to toe in pee.  Poor guy!  He was so cold.  Mike got up and made him a bottle.  As much as I didn't enjoy being woken up in the middle of the night and taking two hours to fall back to sleep, I absolutely loved giving him a bottle and having him fall asleep on me.  He hasn't done that in a while and I know it won't happen too much more, so I was soaking it all in. 

Adam was up bright and early at his usual time of 6am.  Mike let me sleep in while he took him downstairs (just another reason he should probably be in the running for the dad/husband/son of the year award).  We used to be able to let him play in his crib until we could get enough energy to get up, but lately he has been so loud.  He stands up and shouts over and over until we come get him.  We don't want him to wake up Owen so we go get him a lot faster than we used to.  Guess he figured us out!  He will throw his nunner, blanket, and bunny out of his crib one by one and yell "Uh oh, dada, uh oh" over and over.  He's a little stinker.  He totally knows how to push his brother's buttons too.  Owen gets all upset every time he loses his Lightning McQueen car (which is about 10 times a day).  Now, Adam has started taking the car when Owen is not looking and hiding it!  It was missing all day yesterday and we finally found it in the sippy cup drawer.  This morning he took it twice and hid it.


This morning we all went to church.  Adam did pretty well in the nursery.  After church and lunch, Owen and Mike went searching for "wocks" to build a rock wall.
Owen wore his camping hat and took his binoculars.  Right now, instead of napping, he's outside helping daddy and Papa with the wocks.

I hope your weekend wocked as much as ours did!

2 comments:

Jenny said...

sarah, these pictures are sooo good! i love seeing the emotions and love between mike and owen. it's precious. you've really been doing such a great job with your new camera capturing some very beautiful moments. awesome! and thanks for letting us "peek" into them...-jenny

Sarah said...

Thanks so much Jenny :) I love taking pictures with my new camera, but it is not as easy as I thought it would be. Plus, my always-on-the-move boys make it even trickier to get a good picture (I'm sure you can relate!).