Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Science

For Christmas, my mom got Owen one of these...
 
We were really excited to use it, but we had to wait until the temperatures were warm enough to release our butterflies.  A few weeks ago I sent away for the caterpillars and today they arrived!  I was worried because they were sitting in our mailbox for most of the day and it was probably over 100 degrees in there.  At first the caterpillars were not moving at all, but after a bit they started moving and being more active.
Owen and I made science journals and each day or every few days we are going to draw pictures and record what we see!
On another science note... a Facebook friend posted this newsclip about a do-it-yourself stink bug trap.  I'm not sure about you, but we are constantly killing stinkbugs in our house.  Today, while I was on the phone with Mike, Adam walked up and had something small between his thumb and pointer finger.  He handed it to me and it was a LIVE stinkbug.  I was freaked out!!!  It must have been scared or else half squished from Adam's fingers because it stank!  UGH!  So I bought a bottle and made my own trap.
The only problem is... I bought a green bottle instead of a clear one.  So, we'll see if it still works.  I also want to make one for our attic because I know we have a ton up there.

I'll be sure to keep you posted on our butterflies and stinkbugs! I know you're just dying to hear more :)


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes, I am truly interested in both projects! I see Owen has his 2 little cars right by his side on the kitchen table. Aunt Judy