Today was our last day of school (with kids). We still have to go next week for meetings. Last year at this time I was so ready for the year to end and could not wait to say good-bye to my class of 5th graders. They were, and probably always will be, the most challenging students I have ever taught. I was so proud of myself for making it through the year and not giving up (or ending up in a mental institution).
This year was a different story. I moved to third grade (my favorite grade to teach) and I had a great class this year. This was my seventh year of teaching and this class was probably my favorite. I had some great classes during my 5 years in my previous school district and many of those students I won't forget. After Owen was born, I did not want to drive 35 minutes everyday to and from work. I decided to take a job in a school much closer to my house (only 10 minutes away) and the hours in this district are less too! I do miss my old school a lot.
The students in this district are so different than where I began teaching. Many of them live with only one parent or grandparent and have very little. They were so appreciative of every little thing I did for them. I know I probably won't have a group quite as special as these students again (at least for a while). Over Christmas break I had an awful dream that I went to school and discovered it was the last day of school and I had to say good-bye to my kids and send them on to 4th grade. I was not ready to let them go. I told my class about my dream and today one of my boys said, "Mrs. Reager, remember that bad dream you told us you had about us going to 4th grade? Well, it's here."
Now that school is out and I am not spending every evening grading paper and doing plans I don't quite know what to do with myself. It will be so nice not to have to spend a few hours every weekend in my classroom. I spend all year waiting for the day to come where I don't have hours of work to do outside of school and when it is finally here it takes a bit to get used to. Don't get me wrong... I love it... I am just such a routine oriented person that it throws me off and takes a little getting used to. I have also had a LOT more time on my hands now that my reality shows are over (American Idol, and Dancing With the Stars). I am hooked on the Bachelorette now, but that is only on Monday nights.
This summer will be the first summer that Mike has not taught summer school. I will be subbing for summer school, but that is all. Owen will be going to Linda's two days a week because last summer we did not send him and it was very traumatic (on all of us!) when he had to go back in the fall. It will be very hard to send him to daycare while I am at home. I will feel so guilty, but I know it is best that he stays familiar with the people, children, and routines at Linda's house. We plan on staining the deck, completing a ton of small projects around the house that we have been putting off, going to the pool, the boat, the beach, the zoo, Thomas the Train, Dutch Wonderland, Sesame Place, and Baltimore.
I do love this time of year!
No comments:
Post a Comment