Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Pool Daze


This week is probably the hottest week we've had all summer and I think we've spent more time in the pool than we have out of the pool.  I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if Owen woke up tomorrow morning with gills and fins.  He's turned into quite the little fish!  And Mr. Adam is so close to being an official swimmer.  Today we visited three different pools.  We're so lucky to have nice friends with pools.

Both boys are doing swim lessons this week.  Owen's lesson is first, then Adam's.  I get in the water with Adam.  After that we've been eating lunch and then spending the rest of the day at the pool or going to swim at friends' pools.
 
Owen is really impressing me with his swimming skills.  He's learning to do the front stroke and the back stroke.  I'm equally impressed with his ability to make new friends at the pool.  My shy boy that would never approach other kids is definitely coming out of his shell.  If he sees a boy about his age with a water squirter  he instantly wants to be friends and will take the initiative to go up and play with him.  I was half-joking when I said he was going to be that kid that latches onto a family and wants to spend all day at their house and never leave.  He's kind of that way at the pool.  He will follow a friend to the snack bar and back to their towel waiting for them to come play with him in the water.  I love it. 

Speaking of fish... Owen won a fish last Saturday night at the church festival.  Adam wanted one too, but instead of spending $8 to try to win another one I took the boys to PetSmart for a 28 cent goldfish.... and some shiny rocks for the bottom of the bowl, and some food, and a fancy grass thing to put in the water, and some solution to put in the water to keep them living longer.  Both fish died today :( Luckily the boys didn't seem to mind that much.  I warned them ahead of time that fish didn't live long.  I was hoping they'd last at least a week.  Geesh!

Time for my sun-burned self to go to bed.  I think I may need to wear a t-shirt in the pool tomorrow.  I can't seem to keep myself from burning no matter how many times I apply sunscreen.

Happy Summer!

1 comment:

Angie said...

We haven't had hardly any pool time this year. I'm hoping we get some on vacation.

I can't believe your fish didn't make it a week. Anika's had one forever now. I sometimes how it lives in the dirty water she keeps it in. She's a teenager so cleaning it's bowl isn't real high on her priority list!