Saturday, October 31, 2009

Potty Training 101

We are taking a pretty laid back approach to the whole potty training thing. I heard that boys tend to potty train later than girls so we are pretty much just waiting till Owen is ready and not pushing the issue. I would love for him to be potty trained by the time the baby arrives, but if he isn't, it is no big deal. A few weeks ago, I told him that when he decides to go poop on the potty, I will buy him a new choo choo- his choice. This did not seem to motivate him too much. He's tried to go a few times because he really wanted a choo choo, but nothing....until today. After lunch he said he wanted to go poopy in the potty. I figured he probably would not go, but we tried anyway. He was really trying to go, but I did not think he went... until I looked and saw a teeny tiny poop. Mike and I made a HUGE deal about it. We were very proud and so was Owen (as you can see in the picture!). I told him we would go get him a new train after his nap, but he wanted to go right away, so off we went. On the way there he told me he was going to get James, but he ended up getting Hector. Ten minutes after we got home he tried to go potty again. I think he wanted to go back and get James. I said he has to go pee and poop in the potty to get another train. Potty training could get very expensive so I might eventually have to make a sticker chart and reward him after five or ten successful potty trips. I know some of my friends give their kids a tiny M&M every time their child goes to the potty, but unfortunately, Owen does not like M&Ms, or candy for that matter.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Way to go" Owen!!!!! He looks so proud in the photo. Good luck with continued training. AJ

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Owen!!!
Love, Abuela