Saturday, October 3, 2009

Levi's Run

This morning we had our first family race. Owen's "best friend" from Linda's house, Levi, was diagnosed last December with Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy. It is the most severe form of MD a child can have. Levi is eight months older than Owen and he has two older, very sweet, brothers whom Owen looks up to a lot. A group of close friends and family organized a 5K and 1 mile fun run to raise money for Levi and Duchenne MD. We were excited for Owen to run in his first race since it seems all he wants to do lately is run!

When we arrived I could not believe how many people had come out to support Levi. I don't know how his mom held it together so well. Owen was acting very shy. There were a lot of people there we knew, but I think the large crowd was overwhelming for him. Mike ran the 5 K in under 20 minutes, which was his goal. Then, the three of us did the fun run/walk together. Owen was a stinker and refused to run-- go figure. He said his diaper was bothering him and he was shy. He walked the entire thing. He made up for it and ran about 30 laps around the house when he got home yelling "Go Owen! I runnin the race."

One of the most amazing things about the race was the 90 year old man that ran the 5 K. He was a WWII vet and a cancer survivor. I wish I could have gotten Owen's picture with him!

It was a fun morning, and we had great weather! Hopefully they have it again next year so I can attempt to run the 5K.

No comments: