Friday, July 3, 2009

Be careful with his heart

Tonight we went to a picnic. Owen was very excited because his friend from daycare was going to be there. He talked about it throughout the day and on the way there he even planned what choo choo he was going to give her to play with. He was excited to play choo choos with her. When we got there, she had not yet arrived. They had this terrific inflatable bouncy thing set up in their yard so Owen was busy playing in that. When his friend finally arrived, Owen was excited to play with her, but she was also interested in playing with another older boy that was there. He is 5 and she is 3 1/2. This boy was quite aggressive. He wanted her all to himself. His mom said he has had girlfriends since he was 2 and he has one at church, one at daycare, etc. He even uses pick up lines. This boy was not very nice to Owen. When Owen went to sit down with him at the kid table, he told him he was saving the seat for her. When Owen was trying to play with them in the bouncy thing, he told Owen they wanted their privacy. Then, when he fell down, Owen helped him up only to have the boy grab his arm and say he was taking Owen to jail because he was the bad guy. Mike and I were watching this and getting a little angry, but we knew we had to let Owen do his thing. Plus, he is only 2 and did not understand the dynamics of the situation (male dominance). He was pretty much fine with the situation, it was Mike and I that were feeling hurt. When we left I think Owen was a little disappointed that he did not get to play with his friend as much as he would have liked. I just dread the day when he feels left out or some girl breaks his little heart. I know he will probably do his fair share of breaking hearts too and leaving others out, but I hope it is minimal. We are so proud of him for being kind, even when others are not kind to him. We just hope he continues to be this way as he gets older.

No comments: