Some of my best conversations with Owen happen when we're in the car, just the two of us. Yesterday as I was driving him to karate we had one I don't want to forget....
Owen: Mommy, when you were little did boys ever chase you on the playground?
me: Well, I don't really remember. I wasn't that in to boys when I was little. Why? Do you chase girls?!
Owen: Yeah, it's really fun and they don't tell me to stop
me: Well I guess if they don't tell you to stop and your teacher is OK with it then it's not a problem
So, are there certain girls you chase or do you chase any girl?
Owen: I don't just chase any girl (big grin on his face). There are certain ones. (he didn't share who and I was trying not to be annoying and pry)
me: Does Tyler chase girls too? (I had to ask this because it seems that he really only plays with Tyler on the playground)
Owen: I ask him to help me and he does and sometimes the girls chase us.
Oh my goodness. I would totally expect this conversation from Adam, but not from Owen. I was shocked! He has shown zero interest in girls, in fact he acts a little grossed out by them which is why this is so funny to me. But it is cute at the same time because boys chasing girls on the playground (and vise versa) is one thing that hasn't changed in kids in many, many, many years.
Another reason this was special was because Owen shares little to nothing with me about his day at school. I ask him how his day is everyday and I get a very brief response. I rely a lot on my friend, that has a daughter in the same class and gets a lengthy, detailed report each day, to clue me in on anything major. So I was soaking all this new information in that he was telling me about recess.
Happy Friday and Happy Happy birthday to Mike!!! I'm pretty sure he chased girls on the playground.
***If you read this, please don't joke with Owen about chasing girls or even let him know I wrote about this. He would be really embarrassed and maybe upset with me and then he wouldn't tell me anything anymore. It's one of those stories I think he'll appreciate when he's much older.***
No comments:
Post a Comment